Pictured above are the four prize baskets that have been awarded to the 5-shop, 10-shop, 13-shop and 17-shop drawing winners.
Yarn Discovery Tour
2014 Prize Winners
Carol Yachanin won the grand prize basket filled with a cornucopia of yarns and needlework accessories awarded at the conclusion of this year’s 7th annual Yarn Discovery Tour. Her name was drawn at random from those who had their passports stamped at all 17 shops on the tour.
Marianne Karwowski Hoppel took home the Extraordinary Prize Basket from those who visited 13 shops, Lisa MacNamara won the Awesome Prize Basket for 10-shop tourists and Marla Friedman was awarded the Cool Prize Basket after visiting five shops.
Including prize baskets awarded by each of the 17 shops on the tour, a total of 21 prize winners were drawn at random from the record 567 fiber enthusiasts — nearly 100 more than last year — who participated in this year’s annual Northeast Ohio “shop hop.”
Yarn and needlework accessories for the three big prize baskets were provided by the 21 participating sponsors (listed to the left). Rules for participation in YDT 2014 were similar to previous years with the addition of a fourth major prize basket.
Preliminary plans for the 2015 edition are already being discussed, with the 8th annual event expected to begin immediately after the Labor Day weekend.
Winners of all 21 prize baskets include:
17-Shop Grand Prize Winner
* Carol Yachanin
13-Shop Prize Winner
* Marianne Karwowski Hoppel
10-Shop Prize Winner
* Lisa MacNamara
5-Shop Prize Winner
* Marla Friedman
Individual Shop Prize Winners
* Nancy Eger (Artists’ Gallery)
* Phyllis Nabakowski (Black Locust Farm)
* Peggy Krueger (Cornerstone Yarns)
* Jean Tibbs (Crochet Innovations)
* Tasia Seefong (Ewes d’Bleu)
* Rose Holva (Fine Points)
* Judy Vasbinder (Harps & Thistles Yarn
* Coletta Pilato (Heidi & Lana)
* Bernice Rhode (Knots—Knitting on the
* Susan O’Malley (My Sister’s Yarn Shop)
* Pamela Christ (River Colors Studio)
* Samantha Lash (Smith’s Knitshop)
* Sherri Price (Studio Knit)
* Cathy Davidson (The Artful Yarn)
* Sue Rohner (The Designing Woman)
* Michelle Cutlip (The Knit Shop)
* Kathy Schreck (The Ohio Fiber Network)
2014 Rules for Participation
1. Purchase a $5 passport from any participating shop listed and receive a YDT tote bag.
2. Spend a minimum of $10 at a participating shop from September 5-20, get your passport stamped, and receive a free pattern and entry in a drawing for that shop’s prize basket ($100 value).
3. Get your passport stamped at multiple shops and qualify for drawings for prize baskets full of hundreds of dollars of yarns and accessories:
* 5 shops — Cool Prize Basket
* 10 shops — Awesome Prize Basket
* 13 shops — Extraordinary Prize Basket
* All 17 shops — Grand Prize Basket
4. Passports may be used on any of the 16 days of the tour during each shop’s regular business hours. In addition, all shops have agreed to be open during the following common YDT hours:
* Thursdays & Fridays 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
* Saturdays and Sundays 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
NOTE: Participating shops may have different hours on Mondays through Wednesdays (some may be closed), and some shops may have longer hours on Thursdays through Sundays. So if you plan to visit a shop outside of the common YDT hours, please check each shop’s regular business hours posted on their website.